[Kstars-devel] Inaccurate Catalogs?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Fri Dec 7 10:53:06 CET 2007

Il Friday 07 December 2007 08:38:51 Akarsh Simha ha scritto:
> Many more inaccuracies:
> NGC 3550 is 14th magnitude but reported as 1.7 in our catalogs!
> M27 has no magnitude defined!

According to Wikipedia, M27 has an apparent magnitude of 7.5 (7.4 according to
the Italian wikipedia).

Here is a table for the Messier objects, listing also magnitudes (rightmost
column):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_messier_objects

Wikipedia articles are filed under the GNU FDL. We can make use of that data,
I think.

> M57 is shown to be 14+ magnitude while it is brighter than 10th mag!
> Many Messier nebulae don't have magnitude defined (and this is messing
> up the output of the Observing List)
>
> I think we should try our best to replace this catalog with something
> more accurate before the release.

It would be nice to do, however it can be done at any point release (4.0.x),
which historically are quite frequent.

> BTW, when is the release?

Last time I checked, it was Jan 11 2008...

Ciao,
Luciano