[Kstars-devel] Inaccurate Catalogs?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:39:44 CET 2007

Hi

> I happened to observe this galaxy called NGC 2090 through a 10" Telescope.
> While a few other sources show the magnitude of this object to be 11.2 magnitude, KStars puts it at 11.9
> It is impossible that it is 11.9, because then I'd have simply not seen it with such a small scope.
>
> What is the source of these catalogs? Is the source accurate?

I really enjoyed the new 'Observing List Wizard' Tool and it is really a marvellous feature.
I just gave it a shot and figured that it failed miserably when I tried to filter galaxies brighter than Mag 6.
It gave me about 100 results for that! When I looked into the catalogs, these galaxies had 0.0 as their
magnitudes instead of "     " as required for an undetermined magnitude.

Aren't we using the catalogs from over here: http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/ngcic/rev2000/Explan.htm ?
The catalog out there resolves both the above problem, as well as the NGC 2090 trouble that I mentioned earlier.

Seems like some mistake while using awk?