[Kstars-devel] KDE feature freeze

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Wed Aug 1 20:33:18 CEST 2007

Hi Akarsh,

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 11:23, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> Hi Jason.
>
> I can handle some simple testing / debugging.

Thanks, that would be great.

> I don't know much about the manual.
>
> By the way, me being new to development, can you tell me what the "trunk"
> is and what "message-frozen" and "feature-frozen" mean?

"trunk" is the main branch of development in the SVN repository; it is the
codebase that will eventually be tagged and released as KDE-4.0.
"feature-frozen" simply means that no new features can be committed to trunk,
only bugfixes.  Trunk is frozen in order to ensure that developers spend time
fixing and optimizing their code prior to a release, so that the release is
stable and polished.  When trunk is "message-frozen" on Aug. 20th, it means
that no user-visible strings can be changed anymore, except to fix typos or
other problems.  This is done in order to give the 40+ translation teams time
to localize all of KDE into their language, without having to work against a
moving target.

See the KDE-4.0 release schedule here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Schedule

We can create branches in which feature development can continue while trunk
is frozen (e.g., James's kdeedu_kstars_htm branch).  However, I would rather
we concentrate on fixing/polishing kstars in trunk.

HTH,
Jason