[Kstars-devel] SatLIb verification

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Apr 25 03:53:46 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have finally added Earth satellite tracking to KStars using SatLib; see the
attached screenshot.  However, I'm having trouble verifying that the
predictions are accurate.  I'm comparing to websites like heavens-above.com,
and it looks to me like the SatLib predictions are completely different.

Quoting an earlier email on this topic[1]:
> I'm comparing [the SatLib predictions] to various sources online,
> especially heavens-above.com and spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata.
>
> For example, these websites predict a pass by HST over Tucson, AZ on 18
> April 2007 at 4:25 am, local time.  But I'm not seeing an HST pass in
> KStars anywhere near that time.

I've tried several other dates as well, I can't seem to find any correlation
between the SatLib predictions and those published at heavens-above and NASA.

I was wondering if you had any insight in this matter.  Have you done any
verification of the SatLib predictions?  If so, can you share the sources you
compared with?

thanks,
Jason

[1]: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kstars-devel&m=117688489902995&w=2