[Kstars-devel] questions re: gathering images

Glenn Becker burningc at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Nov 30 19:47:16 CET 2006

All -

I have put six NGC images here to kick off my KStars Herschel 400 "farm":

http://burningc.freeshell.org/KStars/

My thought in putting them there was to save bandwidth before I am sure of
the best method of "delivery" for these things. These six images come
from four sources: one is from Wikipedia (they have some nice
copyright-free images of famous objects) and two are from amateur
websites (I have obtained permission from the owners). The last one is
from the NOAO gallery, about which more below.

So first question - is there a specific person to whom should I be sending
these files? Naturally, I don't want to burden the list with large
attachments. It might be that simply having them on my webserver is the
best delivery method ...

I am keeping track of permissions, etc in an OpenOffice Calc file which I
can put up in the same directory, if that works.

Second question - are these images sufficient? Not only in terms of size
but in terms of aesthetics. There are B&W as well as color images - I am
going to try stick to color but with more obscure objects it might not
be possible. One of the images has copyright info on it, which I assume
would be cropped before use.

Third - the Public Affairs Program Coordinator at NOAO had the most
questions about attribution. Basically she said it was okay to use their
images as long as the credit line was included somehow. I explained the
different ways in which the images might show up in the application and
the kinds of possibilities for attribution each use might allow. Does the
way KStars does this (particularly within the Details dialogue) need to be
hammered out before I submit any of their images for inclusion?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.lonestar.org