[Kstars-devel] Interesting HTM timing results

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon May 29 16:02:22 CEST 2006

Hi James,

On Sunday 28 May 2006 18:39, James Bowlin wrote:
> I find this result very interesting.  Don't bet the ranch on it because
> I could well have made a terrible mistake somewhere, but if it holds up
> it implies that even though intersections on the finer meshes are more
> expensive, it turns out to be time well spent since it is saving us time
> in the long run by doing a better job of reducing the number of stars
> that need to be clipped manually.   It would also mean that my idea of
> saving time by using a courser mesh for the wider views would have
> actually slowed things down!  Of course in the wider views, people
> generally clip the dimmer stars in which case the benefit of the finer
> mesh would be greatly reduced.  AFAIK, the HTM's will at best give us
> a factor of 2 speed improvement when it comes to drawing the entire sky
> (I think we only draw 1/2 of the sky at a time).  This makes me think
> that we also might be able to use the HTM to clip stars that are under
> the horizon when we are in the mode of just drawing that area as green.

Yes, very interesting tests.  The final answer to all of this will come when
we actually implement it, of course...

I think below-horizon stars will be more quickly clipped on the basis of their
(already known) Altitude coordinate than with a half-sky HTM slice.

> The chart above was produced by 21 lines of Perl code.  I'd be glad to
> post it if anyone wants to check my work.  Please consider these results
> to be an alpha release.
>
> For debugging purposes, I'd really like to try to implement the dcop
> drawLine() feature.  Actually, I'd like to implement drawLineRaDec()
> so the lines would be somewhat fixed to the sky.  Then we would
> just need an eraseLines() for starting over.  The lines could all
> be stored on a stack somewhere.   I would draw the triangles
> so we can get an image of what is going on with these meshes and
> intersections.

We should have this function, but for your purposes, it might be better to
just add a "HTMComponent" to the skycomponents directory.  We could add a
hotkey that toggles the HTM lines on/off.  I could pretty quickly add this
component when the time comes.

KStars: http://edu.kde.org/kstars
Community Forums: http://kstars.30doradus.org