[Kstars-devel] profiling KStars

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed May 24 14:37:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Well, the two approaches could be pursued independently, and could both
> help. Even a coarse subdivision would reduce the number of objects to
> check.
>
> For the three-D approach, you could go even further than that, you could
> directly use an OpenGL widget to do the rendering.
>
> You would probably use homogeneous coordinates in this case, with 4 values
> (the fourth being zero, indicating the point is at infinity).
>
> Luciano

Yes, the two ideas I talked about are independent.

We actually had a port of KStars-3.x to openGL implemented by an
interested user.  It worked, but one problem with openGL (IIUC) is that
it's difficult to dynamically change the list of objects being rendered.
  This is an issue for dynamic visibility as a function of zoom level,
and preventing the stars from getting larger as you zoom in (both of
which we do in KStars).  I suppose these are not insurmountable issues
in openGL.

Besides, I don't want to make openGL a dependency, so we still need fast
rendering without it.  Maybe later on we can take another look at openGL.