[Kstars-devel] Want to install 3.5 CVS of KStars over SUSE 3.51 KStars

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Mar 12 17:39:42 CET 2006

Hello,

Not too much has changed in the 3.5 branch since 3.5.1, see here:
http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_5_1to3_5_2.php

but I guess since you reported some of the bugs that were fixed, you are
probably more eager than most to see the fixes :)

On Saturday 11 March 2006 21:44, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Now I want to use the latest SVN working copy of KStars. I have seen the
> instructions to SVN-download the latest code and install it, but I wonder,
> will my current KStars installation be automatically overwritten?
>
> I do not wish to uninstall the kdeedu package since my wife uses other apps
> supplied by it.

You don't have to uninstall your existing kdeedu package.  If you follow the
SVN instructions on our page, the version of kstars that came with your
kdeedu package will indeed be overwritten.  There are four things you can do
about this, in order of increasing complexity:

1) Don't do anything.  You'll lose your old version of KStars, but so what?
It won't mess up the kdeedu package, and the next time you upgrade to a new
kdeedu package, it will happily overwrite the SVN version of KStars-3.5.2.

2) You can rename $KDEDIR/bin/kstars to $KDEDIR/bin/kstars-3.5.2 (or whatever
you like).  That way you can still run the old version of KStars if you like.
However, it won't be overwritten by future upgrades of the kdeedu package.
There were also some fixes in data files, so if you want to preserve the
3.5.2 versions for some reason, move the contents of
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kstars to a different directory before installing the new
version.

3) You can direct the new version of KStars to install itself into a different
location using the "--prefix" argument to ./configure.  This option will
require that you add the new path to your $KDEDIRS (not $KDEDIR) and $PATH
environment variables, so that the new version will run properly.

4) Add a new user to your system.  Install all of KDE from SVN using this
user, with a --prefix target within the user's home directory.  Set the
user's $KDEDIR variable to point to this local directory.  Then, whenever you
log in with this user, you get the whole KDE environment from SVN, including
KStars.

Hope that helps.  Probably, you want option 1.  Option 4 is useful if you are
going to get more involved with development, which we certainly encourage! :)

regards,