[Kstars-devel] Ideas for Adding a Spatial Index to KStars

Thomas Kabelmann thomas.kabelmann at gmx.de
Thu Jun 22 18:02:06 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I answer here to the last 2 mails, from James and from Jason.

@James
I think we are talking about different things. As Jason mentioned in his post
of your mail, we can't remove the composites. The composites compose the
structure and just the components are doing real work, like drawing. I guess
you're thinking that StarComponent is 1 star. It's not so. For efficiency
reason we have stored all stars in 1 list in this component. In a perfect
object orientated world each StarComponent would represent 1 star, but that
would be a big performance hit. With our current implementation there is no
need for a static list in the composite. We can replace the list in the
component with a hash of lists.

The renaming of the composite classes into Index classes doesn't make sense,
as the name "Composite" shows, that this class composes the structure. The
C/C structure has nothing to do with the algorithm which calculates the
positions or something else. It's just organizing the structure of different
sky objects into a tree.

@Jason
I have no problem with renaming composites to "Group" and leaving "Coponent"
alone, as the classes are in a separate directory and very well documented
and "Group" shows that there is somehing grouped/composed.

@all
I like the scheme 5, as it is the idea I tried to propose. Using a QHash
instead a QVector sounds reasonable to me.

Regards,
Thomas