[Kstars-devel] Questions and feature request (was: Re: Kstars-devel Digest, Vol 35, Issue 16)

Mike Rosseel Mike.Rosseel at gmx.net
Sun Jun 18 11:26:34 CEST 2006

On Sunday 18 June 2006 10:41, brian hurren wrote:
> Can you add other star catalogues to kstars? and there are people at the

yes that's possible, go to Settings - Configure KStars - Catalogs
There you can import catalogs (=map them from your format to kstars format)
and load them (=load an already imported catalog).

> astro society who want to know if you can get it on windows? and also when

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, but my guess is this:
- it is possible using cygwin on windows, but it's a lot of work so in my
opinion a suboptimal solution
- It should be possible when KDE4.0 comes out (the QT libraries allow it for
the first time), although it remains to be seen when it will happen and how
good the ports will be.
- other than that I recommend a bootable linux CD such as lin4astro or any
other which includes kstars.

> your pointer is over a blank piece of sky can you still acces internet
> links with the right mouse button, like for example when you are in say
> scorpio and you are pointing at a blank point in the sky can you access
> info about scorpio? wikipedia have some very good articals about the 88
> constellations.

I think this is called a feature request and a rather good one too in my
opinion. If you can please add it to the bugzilla database for kstars
(http://bugs.kde.org/) after which you are officially a contributor to
kstars :). Mail me if you don't need the glory or can't find how to put it in
and I will help you.

PS: there are people who know a lot more of kstars than I do, if my answers
aren't complete I'm sure they'll chime in

greetings,
Mike