[Kstars-devel] Kstars-devel Digest, Vol 34, Issue 15

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Jun 1 19:16:02 CEST 2006

On Thursday 01 June 2006 07:37, brian hurren wrote:
>  thats exactly what I mean. merging kstars and kde desktop togeather. with
> everyone jump in on the 3d desktop band wagon, we could create somthing
> with substance and educational benifit.

We don't really have plans to do this.

> also how do I attach images to the
> dome. I want to put up couple of photos of the magalin clouds. I was also
> going to do some drawings of the zodiac constelations in the stile of an
> old 17 century starchart. maybe siepia on black and I was wondering how to
> render them onto the dome? send them in see what you think. I am also
> demonstrating kstars at our next astronomical society meeting. I am  sure
> they will all be impressed. can you get kstars on a seperate bootable disk
> like a knopics disk or somthing, so my deprived windows using friends can
> use it also.

It's not possible at this point.  Under Qt-3.x, transforming large bitmaps was
very very slow, so what you're describing wasn't practical.  It remains to be
seen if it's going to be possible under Qt-4.x.  We had a user that was
interested in developing constellation drawings for us, but nothing ever came
from that (yet?).  I'd want them to be pretty high-quality if we were going
to add them to the program.

regards,