[Kstars-devel] KStars and custom catalog loading

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Jul 7 15:08:31 CEST 2006

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your important feedback.  The biggest problem with custom
catalogs is that it's a relatively untested feature.

Can you send me your parsed Tycho-2 catalog fragment?  I'd like to try
adding it as a custom catalog myself.

One workaround that we can talk about is for you to add the Tycho
catalog as a supplement to the current Hipparcos star catalog, rather
than adding it as a separate custom catalog.  This will involve some
very simple modification of the code, and some reformatting of the
catalog (you'll also need to split your catalog files into files
containing 1000 lines each; we do this for faster startup, as each file
is read into a list of strings, and these strings are processed, rather
than reading line-by-line while processing).  Let me know if you are
interested in this option.

As you may know, we aren't actively developing 3.5 anymore, so any
speedups we implement will have to wait for 4.0 (unless they can be
considered bugfixes of the existing codebase, which is somewhat subjective).

regards,
Jason