[Kstars-devel] VSOP data and the GPL

Mike McGavin iizogii at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 21:26:09 CET 2006

Hi Jason.

On 26/01/06, Jason Harris <jharris at 30doradus.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 January 2006 02:18, Mike McGavin wrote:

> > I noticed that KStars includes some VSOP87 catalogue data in the
> > source tree.  I was hoping somebody could clarify the state of VSOP87
> > data and the GPL.

> Seems like we go through this for all of our data files, so here we go
> again. :)  Seriously, though, thanks for bringing it up, we want to be sure
> we're doing the right thing.

> [--snip--]

Thanks for such a speedy and comprehensive answer.  It's definitely helped.

My back-up plan was to distribute the data separately under a
different license, but I feel a lot better about it now, and it's
given me some good pointers on where to keep looking for data I can
use.  As far as the CDS is concerned, it sounded to me as if the
representative who responded might simply have been a bit wary of
asserting copyright-related information about something not directly
owned by the CDS.

Chances are that I'll be able to adapt the GPL'd KStars data in one
way or another as you've suggested if it comes down to it, and I'd be
happy to acknowledge you in doing so.  If you hear back from your
friend at the CDS at any time, I'm certainly interested to know the
outcome.

Thanks.
Mike.