[Kstars-devel] Menu Support for HA Rey Constellations

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 24 08:14:15 CET 2005

I made the changes to the 3.5 branch and it all seems to work fine.

I've cleaned up the changes to the code.  I still need to finish
double checking the new star names I added and I also want to complete
adding missing star names in hip001.dat which (I think) contains the
1,000 brightest stars.  Not all of the stars from this file are named
in the "Sky Atlas 2000.0" so, at least for now, I am leaving some stars
in that file nameless.

The Code Changes
----------------
I changed the Data member, clineList, to a method call,
clineList() which returns either clineReyList or clineStdList
depending on which option is selected.  I did a similar thing
with cmodeList() and cnameList().  The only complicated one was
the names because they are used in a lot of places.  I blindly
moved all uses of cnameList to cnameList().  If there is some
place where you want to always use the Latin names then just
use the member data->cnameLatinList instead of the method call.

There is a minor flaw in the current UI I used.  I just added
an "H. A. Rey" option to the existing list of constellation name
options.  This means that it is not possible for a user to select
a localized translation of the Rey names.  This is not a fundamental
problem in the code, it is just a question of arranging buttons
properly.

It should now be easy to add other names and outlines with just
minor changes in kstarsdata.* and the UI that is used to select
which names or outlines to use.

Because cnameList was used in a lot of places, a lot of code files
had changes.  Here are all of the changed/added files:

M      kstars/opsguides.h
M      kstars/tools/obslistwizard.cpp
M      kstars/detaildialog.cpp
M      kstars/kstarsdata.cpp
M      kstars/kstars.kcfg
M      kstars/kstarsdata.h
M      kstars/opsguidesui.ui
A      kstars/data/cnames-rey.dat
M      kstars/data/clines.dat
A      kstars/data/clines-rey.dat
M      kstars/data/hip001.dat
M      kstars/data/hip002.dat
M      kstars/opsguides.cpp
M      kstars/skymapdraw.cpp
M      kstars/kspopupmenu.cpp
M      kstars.kdevprj

There were about 188 code lines changed or added.  I will be glad
to send the patch file (or post it) if anyone is interested, but
my plan is to wait until I'm done with fixing the star names.

Questions
---------
1) There were 13 stars that I needed for the Rey constellations
that I couldn't find names for.  Since they needed names in order to
make the constellation outlines, for each constellation where names
were needed I named the stars "?? 1", "?? 2", ...  If someone knows
where I can get names (they weren't in the "Sky Atlas 2000.0") or
if someone has an idea for better names than question marks, I will
be glad to go back and rename these 13 stars.

2) Is there some standard that was used for the existing kstars
constellation outlines?  I compared them with the outlines found
in "The Nation Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky" and
there seemed to be too many differences for them all to be mistakes.

Happy holidays to those that are celebrating.

--
James