[Kstars-devel] (maybe offtopic) How to connect through a USB to serial port?

Javier Novoa C. jstitch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:31:46 CET 2005

Hello!
My name is Javier Novoa, from Mexico.
I own a Celestron Nexstar Telescope, which is supported by KStars through
the
INDI for controlling it.
Since I use a laptop, I wish to connect my telescope through the USB ports
(I
don't have RS232 ports in my machine). I already have a USB to serial cable,

which works right with the telescope (I have tested it in WinXP), but I
can't
manage to make it work.
I'm a newbie in this things, but understand of some technical things. Can
you
help me make it work?
As far as I know, the USB cable is already aknowledged by Linux (I use Suse
9.2, kernel 2.6.8-24.18), but when I try to connect to the dev/ttyUSBx
devices, KStars send me an error message: that it cannot connect to the
device. Maybe I have to configure something else in Linux, something related

with the ttyUSBx device and the serial ports or something, but after a lot
of
time and effort, I haven't managed to make it work...
Any ideas please?

Thank you very much for your attention...

Javier Novoa C.