[Kstars-devel] [ask]Little features, with ISS and transits...

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Jun 9 22:49:10 CEST 2005

Hi JB,

Sounds very interesting, I'd welcome such a feature in KStars.  We have had
several inquiries about such a feature (just had one yesterday, in fact).
However, I was always reluctant because I feared the CPU burden of having
Earth satellites zooming by overhead in real-time.

However, on reading your suggestion, I realize that we wouldn't need to do it
that way.  As you say, we can simply draw the curve of the satellites track,
which would be static on the sky.  You could even add tickmarks and labels
showing the time at which the satellite passed.  I think that would be great!

We don't really have a plugin architecture; I suggest we add satellite tracks
as a new class of objects drawn on the skymap.  How many satellites are you
thinking of including?  Presumably, we will add a page to the configuration
window that allows the user to select which satellite tracks are shown.

So, to get started, I guess we need a SatelliteTrack class that contains
the satellite's TLE data, and a QValueList<SkyPoint> containing the track
across the sky.  It should also have a QValueList<QTime> containing the time
at each position along the track.  It will also need methods to determine if
it is visible on a given night, at a given location; and to compute the track
for a given night, at a given location.  Once this is in place, we can start
integrating it into the rest of the code (Skymap, Options dialog, KStarsData
for reading in data files and updating the tracks, Whats Up Tonight for
predicting satellite passages, etc).

As for the accuracy of our Sun and Moon positions, they are pretty good.
KStars does a good job of reproducing solar eclipses.

Other thoughts?

Jason