[Kstars-devel] Add catalog dialog?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Wed Jun 8 13:14:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

I saw the "Create Catalog" (the window is called "Add catalog" nonetheless)
dialog today.

Here is a link to it: http://www.30doradus.org/kde/addcat.png

I think the "Add Catalog" layout might be a bit confusing. It seem more like
"Convert Catalog" than "Add Catalog". The current steps involve specifying
the catalog label, but then the "save catalog as" is not so obvious, since
the user hasn't done anything worth saving so far.

It would be more intuitive, I believe, to have options in the following order:

1. Load data file (now called append existing file)
2. KStars display the first 1-5 lines of the data file so that the user knows
the fields in each column (this is just optional, as the user can simply open
the data file somewhere else and look at it).
3. Display the drag & drop box to specify which fields to select
4. Coordinate epoch, color
5. Catalog Prefix
6. Catalog Name
7. Save catalog as