[Kstars-devel] Re: updating star names

mph mph at emotrics.com
Wed Jun 8 08:31:52 CEST 2005

Hi Jason,

A few more questions!!

> Sorry about that.  Posting URLs to the list is just fine, or you could send
> the file as an attachment (as long as it isn't too big).

For my own edification, what is "too big"?  50K?  100K?

> Version number isn't necessary; the version control is handled by the SVN
> server (note that KDE just switched from CVS to SVN...they are very
> similar). Once we work out all the issues, you can submit a final version
> of hip001.dat tot he list, and I can commit it to SVN for you.  If you want
> to have the freedom to commit to the server yourself, we can eventually get
> you an SVN account.

My guess would be that I wouldn't need it as data changes would be (hopefully)
rare.

> This star was named by astronaut Virgil Grissom (or by one of his
> colleagues). The Apollo I crew was going to use this star for navigation.
> It's Grissom's middle name backwards.
> http://www.space.com/spacewatch/star_names_030829.html

Great article.  I had wondered about Regor....  Thanks!

> > xi Her: Marfik (I'm familiar using it for kappa Her)
>
> Looks like Kappa is right:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_(constellation)
>
> > Al Nair : alp Ind (I'm only familiar for alpha Gru)
>
> Right again:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grus_(constellation)
>
> but it looks like it is sometimes used for alpha Indi:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_(constellation)

I'll make these changes.  Thanks..

> > This review also brought up for me a concern about using Bayer/Flamsteed
> > designations as a primary key for our data.  These designations are not
> > unique, and it seems more appropriate to use the HIP number if we are
> > using the HIP database.  I'm not sure if it is worth the change, but
> > problems can arise.  Bayer used his designations for multiple stars.  (Pi
> > Ori originally referred to 6 different stars!).  HD162003 and HD162004
> > are both psi Dra (or 31 Dra if you use Flamsteed).  This also raises
> > questions about whether alpha1 or alpha2 in a binary pair should bear the
> > name for a pair of stars. (I vote for the brighter one, but that wasn't
> > consistent in our data)
>
> This is a good point; we should just use the HIP sequence number
> internally.

I assume that that means we need to rebuild all the hip files to include HIP
sequence numbers so they can be read in as the data is read.  I can do this
as I review the data (I'm working on hip002.dat).  What should the format be?
First seven characters in each line as the HIP number?  Should this be the
'final version' you mentioned above or a new 'branch'?

In a related question, if I do rebuild the database do you still want it in
the order of increasing magnitude?  I'm assuming that this is the most
efficient order in terms of the display routines.

> > I'm not sure if the telescope users would want it, but I also thought it
> > might be nice to be able to search based on HIP or HD number.  Of course,
> > the data structures would have to be rewritten which could be a mess.  If
> > someone does want to tackle it, I'd be happy to work on the data portion.
>
> Would be nice.  I'd be willing to add it to the code.  I think the HD
> numbers are more widely used than the HIP numbers.

Would you want me to include HD numbers in a rebuilt database?  What format
would you want?  I get the impression that HD numbers ARE used by telescope
users.  I have been surprised to find stars with HD numbers (like HD 213052)
that are not in the Hipparcos survey which I understand is newer and more
accurate with more stars if you include Tycho.  I might need some help
learning about all these catalogs (being more of a naked-eye person).  If
anyone has a reference, let me know.

Finally, I am slowing working on the data for the idea I suggested of putting
in alternative names like the Ptolemaic descriptions.  (that could be
particularly useful for the clines review)  Given the above proposed changes,
should I make the file in the format (HIP number:name) or (Bayer
designation:name)?

-milton