[Kstars-devel] New minor planet

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sat Jul 30 01:18:33 CEST 2005

Update:

There were actually two minor planets announced today: 2003 EL61 and 2003
UB313.  EL61 is estimated to be somewhat smaller than Pluto, and lies about
25% further away from the Sun than Pluto.  UB313 is almost certainly larger
than Pluto, and it is currently twice as far from the Sun as Pluto.
The MPEC page for UB313 is here:
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mpec/K05/K05O41.html

My constructed elements line for UB313 is:
99998 2003 UB313        53600 67.7091000 0.4416129   44.17700 151.31153
35.87500 197.53790   -1.1

However, once again the position in KStars seems to be in error.  It's not as
far off as EL61, but it's still wrong by tens of arcminutes.  Still don't
understand what the problem is.  Still waiting for the JPL page to add these
objects.

Jason