[Kstars-devel] Constellation figures

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Jul 19 03:14:12 CEST 2005

Hello,

Someone (I believe it was Milton, but can't check right now) expressed
interest in adding constellation "figures" to the display.  These would be
actual drawings of the mythical object represented by the constellation, in
addition to the stick-figures we currently have.  One concern about this has
always been the difficulty of representing the figures and making them
"stretch" properly on the sky.

I just had an idea that we could draw silhouettes of the constellation figure,
rather than line drawings.  This would not only be much simpler, but I think
it would give us sort of a unique "look" compared to other programs that
provide constellation figures.  The silhouette would be like a shadow of the
mythical person/creature/object represented in the constellation, and would
be very similar to the sky in color.  I think it would make the display look
less crowded than line drawings would.

Another idea related to constellations: we can highlight objects with a user
label; what about highlighting constellations too?  The highlight could be
done in a number of ways, but I was thinking in particular about drawing the
constellation boundary with a different color than the rest.  An obvious
candidate for toggling the highlight is with the constellation-name item in
the popup menu.  It isn't selectable now, but it could be made active.

Any thoughts?