[Kstars-devel] Item to add to the Wishlist

Etienne Rollin erollin at physics.carleton.ca
Mon Jan 24 19:00:55 CET 2005

Hello everybody,

I'm a teaching assistant in astronomy for non-scientist students.  My duty
is to prepare observing sessions and show them the Sky.

To prepare my session I was using both DeepSky under Windows and KStars,
but I decided to get rid of DeepSky since it was too complicated for my
students.  I'd like to thank you all for the great job that you did with
KStars.

So if it is not too much trouble, I'd like to add an item to the wish
list.

Maybe this item is similar to 'Observing List Tool' in development..
* Enhance the logging of observations:  Since I frequently use a 'theme'
for each observing session and I re-use it each term, I'd like to have a
more complex logging tool.  What I have in mind is a tool that creates an
observing session object, in which you import astronomical object with
their coordinates, transit times, magnitude etc..  easily printable.  An
integration with "what's up tonight" to export quickly nice objects,
and with the 'altitude vs time', with which we would be able to
export the plot and optimize the observing session would be nice.  We would
be able to export the list and share it with other people.  So, if I'm
interested in double stars, I would create a 'double stars' list that I
could share.  A lot of work!

* Add the option of exporting finder charts quickly according to (a)
particular FOV setting(s). (could be a feature of the logging tool).
In DeepSky I printed those charts with three differents views, Naked Eye,
Eyepiece and Telrad.  Something similar would be great.

* Add the magnitude of the object in the 'info box' (right-clic on the
object).

* Similar to the last point.  Add the magnitude in the What's up tonight
tool, with the Rise-transit-set times.

By the way, I really appreciate the little 'tools' that you offer.  I read
that you are planing to add more of them, good!  I would also enjoy an
integration in KOrganizer to plan my observing sessions.

Thank you very much!

Etienne Rollin
erollin at physics.carleton.ca
(613)-520-2600 x1855