[Kstars-devel] kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Pablo de Vicente p.devicente at wanadoo.es
Fri Jan 14 15:26:40 CET 2005

CVS commit by pvicente:

Added a private function findMagnitude(KSNumbers *num) which computes the
visual apparent magnitude (m_v) of the planets in class KSPlanetBase. The
algorithm for computing it from the phase angle has been provided by Pere
Planesas (OAN) for KStars. I am using a fixed distance between the Sun and
Earth of 1 AU, instead of computing it to obtain the phase angle. The phase
angle is obtained following Meeus book "Astronomical Algorithms".

Function findMagnitude() is called within function findPosition() and therefore
is executed for all solar system bodies. That means that the phase is computed
for all bodies but the apparent magnitudes are only computed for the planets.
The apparent magnitude is stored in the private member Magnitude of class skyObject.

In class DetailDialog I filled in the magnitude item which up to now showed
"--" for planets. Therefore I think that this addition does not break the
partial feature freeze stage we are in KDE. I have also added by hand the apparent
visual magnitude for the Sun to "-26.8".

CCMAIL: kstars-devel at kde.org

  M +6 -3      detaildialog.cpp   1.48
  M +59 -0     ksplanetbase.cpp   1.21
  M +8 -0      ksplanetbase.h   1.24