[Kstars-devel] testing the new VLSR module

Pablo de Vicente p.devicente at wanadoo.es
Fri Apr 29 07:12:55 CEST 2005

El Viernes, 29 de Abril de 2005 00:22, Jason Harris escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I had the opportunity to use the new KStars VLSR calculator module in my
> research today, so I thought I would give a quick report of its
> performance. I checked it against the IRAF "rvcorrect" program.
>
> For both KStars and rvcorrect, I specified Las Campanas Observatory as my
> observing site, and the time of observation was set to 08:00 UT on 29 Aug
> 2004.
>
> Using rvcorrect, I determined the heliocentric and LSR velocities for a
> measured (topocentric) radial velocity of 100 km/s, for targets at four
> positions on the sky (chosen to bracket the region on the sky
> of my actual targets in the Small Magellanic Cloud).  I then used the VLSR
> module of the KStars calculator to determine the heliocentric and
> topocentric velocities at these same four positions, using the V_LSR from
> rvcorrect (currently, V_LSR must be an input value in the KStars module).
> Here are the results:
>
>             ----- IRAF -----    ----- KStars -----
> (RA, Dec)  : V_helio : V_LSR  :: V_helio : V_topo
> (0.4, -74) :  93.45  : 83.42  ::  93.45  :  99.98
> (0.4, -72) :  94.02  : 84.04  ::  94.02  :  99.97
> (1.4, -74) :  95.03  : 83.78  ::  95.03  : 100.00
> (1.4, -72) :  95.79  : 84.45  ::  95.80  : 100.00
>
> So, the IRAF and KStars results are in quite good agreement.
>
> Jason

Hello Jason,

  I am very glad they both agree and that the module is useful. I wrote this
module because one collegue here was asking for it. As I told you in a
previous email I have to modify the GUI so that one may use any velocity as
input value to compute any of the other three. I will try to implement this
as soon as possible.

regards

Pablo.