[Kstars-devel] Meade test

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Fri Apr 22 11:29:18 CEST 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 2:39 am, Jeff Woods wrote:
> I have an LX-200.  What do you need done?
>
> Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Anyone has any of Meade LX or ETX series telescopes? I'd like to perform a
> >quick, but urgent test.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >- Jasem

Hello Jeff & Jb,

Thank you for your responses.

It seems that there is a bug in the lx200 driver that has to do with setting
longitude of a site; this bug only affects people who reside in the eastern
hemisphere. The problem was in convention used for longitudes. We have
KStars, INDI, and Meade. Each represent the longitude differently. In INDI,
longitudes are counted eastward from Greenwitch (0 to 360).

EASTERN LONGITUDES:

For KStars: 0 to +180
For INDI: 0 to +180
For LX200: 0 to -180 (This is internal representation, on keypad it will
display "0 to 180 E" I believe).

--------------------------------------

WESTERN LONGITUDES

For KStars: 0 to -180
For INDI: 360 to 180.
For LX200: 0 to 180 (This is internal representation, on keypad it will
display "0 to 180 W" I believe).

--------------------------------------

As for the test, I'd appreciate it if you can perform the following:

1. There is no need to align/setup your telescope, just hook it up and turn it
on.

2. USING THE KEYPAD (not KStars), set your current site longitude to 000.

3. In KStars, make sure "Geographic location" update is checked in "Configure
INDI" under the device menu.

4. In the device manager, start an "LX200 Generic" driver (selecting generic
is important). Click run service and set your port in the INDI control panel
and connect.

5. If everything goes alright, please check the new longitude value for your
site FROM THE KEYPAD (ignore values from KStars). Let me know your actual
longitude, and whether KStars longitude matches LX200 or not.

6. Repeat the above experiment again. Set the site longitude manually in the
keypad to 000, but this time, if you performed the original test for western
hemisphere, now start KStars and selects a location for some city in the
eastern hemisphere. If the original was for eastern hemisphere, just select
some city in the western hemisphere. Repeat the test, and let me know if the
values match or mismatch.

That's all. Your help is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jasem