[Kstars-devel] Get Hot New Stuff

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Wed Apr 20 14:15:17 CEST 2005

Hello,

In addition to the current work on Apogee, I'm planning to add support for
SBIG next. SBIG kindly provides kernel drivers, along with their camera
libraries. The source code is proprietary, so only the binary library is
available.

Currently, it takes somewhat an experienced user to have the camera ready to
roll. Our goal in KStars has always been to make things as easy and simple as
possible for the end user, and SBIG should not be an exception. Since we
can't really include any proprietary or binary files for that matter in the
CVS (or SVN!) the next solution would be to utilize Get Hot New Stuff tool.

Even though I don't think there are "legal" issues with allowing the user to
download proprietary stuff using this tool, I just wanted to make sure before
I start working.

And no, there is no other way, we have to use the proprietary library.

Cheers,
Jasem