[Kstars-devel] kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Oct 29 05:09:55 CEST 2004

CVS commit by harris:

More improvements to solar system tool:

+ Time can now pass in the tool, so you can watch the planets move.  You
can set the date, and there is a timestep widget for adjusting the clock
speed (the minimum timestep is 1 day), and there is a "play/pause"
button.

+ The data for plotting planet orbits is now stored in *.orbit files in
the data directory, so we don't have to recompute them every time we
open the tool.  This eliminates the init lag completely.

TODO:
- add ability to run the clock backwards
- centering on a planet should engage tracking
- Pluto has problems.  If you let the date go past 2125 or so, it starts
a catastrophic deviation from its normal orbit, doing totally
non-physical looping motions.  By 2300, it is leaving the solar system
completely.  I suspect the code I used for pluto's position is only good
for dates near the present epoch; I may just make Pluto a KSComet object
and use the JPL ephemerides...(please no holy wars!)

CCMAIL: kstars-devel at kde.org

  A            data/earth.orbit   1.1
  A            data/jupiter.orbit   1.1
  A            data/mars.orbit   1.1
  A            data/mercury.orbit   1.1
  A            data/neptune.orbit   1.1
  A            data/pluto.orbit   1.1
  A            data/saturn.orbit   1.1
  A            data/uranus.orbit   1.1
  A            data/venus.orbit   1.1
  A            tools/planetviewerui.ui   1.1
  M +1 -1      ksplanetbase.cpp   1.20
  M +1 -1      data/Makefile.am   1.47
  M +1 -1      tools/Makefile.am   1.10
  M +141 -52   tools/planetviewer.cpp   1.17
  M +25 -1     tools/planetviewer.h   1.9