[Kstars-devel] Re: [Kstars-info] start-clock locks up pc, (KSTARS-1.0, KDE-3.2 (MDK10.0 official))

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon May 31 23:40:21 CEST 2004

Hello Mr. Hein,

kstars-info is reserved for discussing AstroInfo articles.

On Monday 31 May 2004 02:24 pm, George Hein wrote:
> This may not be a bug, but initializing with start-clock running locks
> up my ThinkPads T20 and 240x.  It takes me about a minute to get the
> cursor to the icon and then more seconds to get it to accept my click.
> These ThinkPads are several years old and are lacking in the higher
> speeds found today even in the cheep hardware.
>
> PLEASE, if you insist on it being default, give us an ability to opt out.

Thank you for the report; we've actually heard a similar complaint from
another user as well.  We'll be sure to either add an option to start up with
the clock paused, or add a "slow CPU" startup profile that will behave better
for low-end hardware.

> I also do not understand the clock function: why tie up the cpu
> constantly as a default.  Perhaps an update every 10 minutes or so
> should be default, not every second, as it takes a second to
> compute,nothing else can be performed by our senior 4 year old cpu's.

The clock does not tie up the CPU on modern hardware, unless the timestep is
accelerated, or the zoom factor is large.  With default settings, KStars
idles at only a few percent of the CPU on a GHz-class machine.

Note that the screen does not refresh every time the clock updates; the
screen-refresh interval should be pretty slow at low zoom; certainly much
slower than once per second.

> Note that commands like "E" "S" etc work well, but shift-C does not
> start/stop CLOCK.

Shift-C is not supposed to Start/Stop the clock.  At present, we don't have a
keystroke shortcut for this action.

> I have been an amateur astronomer for 55 years, and a playing/working
> with computers for 35 years - sorry I do not program in C.
>
> I do not use either GNOME or KDE for windowing, they are too slow and
> have tooooo muucchhh code.  On my 4 computers I use ICEWIN to speed
> things up.

You can also try reducing the number of objects displayed by KStars.  Adjust
the faint limit for stars, exclude NGC/IC objects, exclude asteroids/comets,
etc.

thanks for the feedback,