[Kstars-devel] Using kstars to produce an animation

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Wed May 12 16:41:48 CEST 2004

Hi, I would like to use Kstars to produce an animation made of many
frames of the sky "dumped" by kstars.

The animation would be very simple: with the time stopped at a certain
date, the camera points to Alt 0 Az 90; then it goes up until Alt 60 Az
180 and reaches Alt 0 Az 270 at the end of the animation. I'd need some
hundred of frames, each one a little step different from the previous.

My first idea was to use a script like the following, substitute the
strings for Alt and Az, and call kstars --script in a loop.

#
KSTARS=`dcopfind -a 'kstars*'`
MAIN=KStarsInterface
CLOCK=clock#1
dcop $KSTARS $MAIN  setAltAz 0 90
dcop $KSTARS $MAIN  setLocalTime 2004 5 12 0 0 0
dcop $KSTARS $MAIN  zoom 1000
dcop $KSTARS $CLOCK stop
##

This has many disadvantages, first it's pretty ugly (is there a way to
pass parameters to this script?) second, and perhaps more important,
each time Kstars reloads all the data, using a large amount of time.

Do you have any idea to solve the problem in a smart way?

Thank you
Alessio Sangalli