[Kstars-devel] finding 'weird' celestial events

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Mar 4 21:30:32 CET 2004

Hi Steve,

This would be a really interesting use of a program like KStars, but I have to
caution you to think very carefully about the uncertainties inherent in
determining past eclipse events.

Determining the position of the Moon in the sky given a time and date is an
incredibly complex problem.  In fact, there is no analytic solution to the
problem (indeed, it has been proven that no analytic solution exists).
Therefore, the best you can do is a numerical integration that approximates
the Moon's position.  This numerical model is tuned to be accurate for modern
dates, for which we have precise measurements of the Moon's position to check
against.  Once you venture beyond the range of dates for which the model is
tuned, numerical artifacts in the model will accumulate, making the
prediction less and less accurate as more remote dates are examined.  You can
get some more details about this in the README.planetmath file, in the root
kstars directory, and also in the FAQ chapter of the KStars handbook.

Now, given all that, the good news is that the Moon and Sun subtend large
angles on the sky.  So, even if the cumulative error in the Moon's position
was something like 10 arcseconds per century (a number I just made up, but
probably not too far off), you still have a window of +- 9000 years over
which (partial) eclipses could be predicted.  That is, if the error
accumulates at 10 arcsec per century, you need 90 centuries before the error
reaches 15 arcmin, the angular radius of the Moon.

However, I would not use KStars for your research.  Fred Espanek is the
world's expert on eclipses, and he has published a table of all eclipses over
the years -1900 to +4000.  This table represents our best knowledge about
prehistoric eclipses.  Unfortunately that page does not discuss the errors of
the predictions, but perhaps you can email him about it.  In any case, you
can find the table here:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEcat/SEcatalog.html

Good luck,