[Kstars-devel] Fwd: Re: Question about kstars

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Thu Mar 4 18:32:27 CET 2004

Hello Leonardo,

>I also tried to turn on the ETX90 driver from the INDI
>control panel and do the wizard again but did not work
>either.

What was the error message exactly?

>I checked on kstars documentation and INDI but could
>not find anything on how to troubleshoot the problem.
>INDI documentation is mostly developers information.
>the LPD howto on astronomy does not even mention
>kstars :(.

I actually wrote a troubleshooter in the KStars manual
(http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdeedu/kstars/indi-faq.html)

>Can you please give me a possible list of things that
>I could check to try to identify the problem? I am not
>familiar with the way INDI works and if I should start
>an INDI server or something.

I have an ETX90 myself, and I use KStars everyday with it, so there seems to
be a problem in your configuration somehow. Here is what you can do:

1. Go to the Device Menu -> Device Manager. Select ETX90 under telescopes and
click "Run Service". Close the device manager.
2. Open the INDI Control Panel, set the port to /dev/ttyS0, and hit enter.
3. Hit connect.
4. Tell me if you get any error message.

> Do you think I should migrate to KDE 3.2? If so, why
> xephem did not work either?

According to Xephem's mailing list , it's working.