[Kstars-devel] observing list feature

Jason Harris jharris at as.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 27 23:42:05 CET 2004

Hi Jeff,

No one is working on it yet, so you are most welcome to implement it!  Here
are some notes on what I've been envisioning:

+ Have a small window that floats on top of the main window (but is not
modal).  This window holds the names of objects in the current observing
list.  Double-clicking on a name centers the display there (and/or slews the
telescope?).  Right-clicking a name in the list brings up that object's
normal popup menu.  We should also add items to the popup menu to Add or
Remove the object from the Observing list.

+ A larger tool window showing more data for each object (coordinates,
rise/set times, airmasses, etc.  In this window, the user can add/remove
objects, change their order, etc.  It might be useful to eventually make this
like an astronomical spreadsheet calculator.  For example, the user could add
a column representing the altitude of all the objects at a specified time.

+ Objects in the list should optionally have a special representation in the
map; either a distinct color, or a small attached symbol, or ??

+ Keyboard actions to go to the Next/Previous object in the list.

Let me know what you think of this, and what your own ideas for the tool are.

Thanks a lot for offering to work on this tool, and welcome aboard!

Jason

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 02:48 pm, Jeff Woods wrote:
> Has anyone begun work on the observing list feature listed on your TODO
> list?  If not, I'd be willing to work on it as it is a feature I would
> love to see completed.
>
> Jeff Woods

    Dr. Jason Harris
 jharris at as.arizona.edu