[Kstars-devel] Bug Report from a user

Thomas Kabelmann thomas.kabelmann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 15 22:28:43 CET 2004

Hi,

I've got a bug report from a user from Tenerife (Canary Islands) about some spanish cities in Cities.dat. Since this report is in german I summarize it:

Currently we have the cities Izaña, Roque de los Muchachos, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Palmas de G. C., Las and Las Palmas in the database. The last 2 cities seem to be same city. The UT offset on Canary Islands is 0 hours instead of 1 hour. DST rule is EU, so this is ok. The coordinates differ slightly from the one the user has send. And some provinces are wrong or are missing.

Here are the correct data:

Observatories (City, Province, Country, location):
Izaña, Tenerife, Spain (-16 30 35.00, 28 18 00.00)
Roque de los Muchachos, Tenerife, Spain (-17 52 34.00, 28 45 34.00)

Cities:
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Spain (-15 25 00.00, 28 06 00.00) capital city of the isle and capital city of province Gran Canaria
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife, Spain (-16 13 60.00, 28 26 60.00) capital city of the isle and capital city of province Tenerife

Since the Canary Islands are 7 islands, he requested, if we can add following cities, which are no capital cities of a province, but they are the capital cities of the remaining islands:

Arrecife, Gran Canaria, Spain (-13 31 60.00, 28 56 60.00) capital city of Lanzarote
Puerto del Rosario, Gran Canaria, Spain (-13 52 00.00, 28 30 00.00) capital city of Fuertoventura
San Sebastián de la Gomera, Tenerife, Spain (-17 06 00.00, 28 06 00.00) capital city of La Gomera
Santa Cruz de la Palma, Tenerife, Spain (-17 45 00.00, 28 40 60.00) capital city of La Palma
Valverde, Tenerife, Spain (-17 55 00.00, 27 48 00.00) capital city of El Hierro

For further information I've attached the original message, so you can check the data with the links the user has send. I don't know if we can use this data without permission from the authors of the websites, so I ask you, if it is legal to copy location data whitout any permission.

Last question I have is: Can we currently fix the data in CVS or should we wait until KDE 3.2 is released (because some new strings will added)?

Regards,
Thomas