[Kstars-devel] ExtDate coming soon!

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Apr 15 22:36:12 CEST 2004

Hello,

Last year, Michel Guitel sent me code for a replacement of the QDate class
that does not suffer from a date-range limitation.  It's called ExtDate.

I've finally gotten around to taking a better look at this, and I am planning
on introducing it soon into kdeedu/libkdeedu/extdate on CVS.  Also, I have
made several additions to Michel's original ExtDate:

+ Fixed some bugs
+ Adding API docs
+ It now also includes ExtDateTime, which replaces QDateTime.
+ I am replacing KCalendarSystem with ExtCalendarSystem (this class allows for
calendar systems other than Gregorian).
+ I am replacing KDatePicker with ExtDatePicker, and possibly some other
date-related widgets as well, such as ExtDateWidget instead of QDateWidget.

Once we have a working implementation in kdeedu, and give some time to work
out any problems, I would like to propose on kde-core-devel that the classes
be added to kdelibs for KDE4 (if Michel is agreeable to this).  One reason,
obviously, is to provide all of KDE with the ability to specify calendar
dates without restrictions.  Another is that the functionality of
ExtCalendarSystem is severely restricted, because it makes frequent use of
the KGlobal::locale()->calendar() function, which returns a KCalendarSystem,
not an ExtCalendarSystem.  So, users of KStars will only be able to use a
Gregorian calendar for now (unless we port all of the non-Gregorian
KCalendarSystems to ExtCalendarSystems).

regards,