[Kstars-devel] kdeedu/kstars/kstars/data

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Sep 25 11:39:58 CEST 2003

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the kind words.  I don't think Waldo meant to sound harsh, he was
just using his usual compact and efficient style :).

Anyway, yes, now both HEAD and kstars_debian use the GPL'd NGC/IC that I built
from public sources.  The version derived from Steinicke's work will be
available as a download from our webpage after 3.2 is released.  Eventually,
we will have a tool to download and install "extra" data, so hopefully users
who would like the more complete catalog won't be inconvenienced too much.

regards,
Jason

On Thursday 25 September 2003 09:30 am, Pablo de Vicente wrote:
>  Hello Jason,
>
>  I am bit suprised with Waldo Bastian 's message tone. I understand its
> content but not its tone. Does the log of the CVS mean that now both HEAD
> and Debian_branch use the catalog you have created and that Steinecke
> catalog has been discarded in all branches?. As you know from previous
> discussions I am happy with your catalog or with Steinecke catalog, but I
> would like that those who ask for pure free data be aware of the big effort
> you have made by creating a free NGC catalog. I know it is a shame there is
> so little free data in astronomy but you have made such an effort to
> overcome this problem by gathering yourself these data that it should be
> acknowledged.
>
> best regards,
>
> Pablo.

KStars:  A K Desktop Planetarium