[Kstars-devel] ngc/ic catalog

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Sep 17 14:46:21 CEST 2003

Hello,

I am close to being finished with two updated versions of the NGC/IC catalog:

(1) Steinicke's very complete catalog, which he normally licenses as "free for
non-commercial use".  He has given explicit permission for us to distribute
it with KStars.  I tried to follow-up with him to see if we could license the
catalog itself under the GPL, but he did not reply to this request.

(2) A 100% Free version, compiled by myself from public-domain sources (the
RC3 catalog for galaxies, the SIMBAD service for non-galaxies, plus other
websites to fill in some gaps.  This has been a lot of work, but it still
contains about 500 blank entries (in NGC; haven't checked IC yet).

My question is: which of these should KStars ship by default?  The Free
version will be the default in "debian_branch" of course, but what about in
HEAD?  Any thoughts?

Once we have a setup wizard that includes auto-installation of extra catalogs,
we can just ship the Free/incomplete version and offer Steinicke's in the
wizard.

thanks,

KStars:  A K Desktop Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars