[Kstars-devel] a couple of "new" features ?

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Sep 14 18:20:04 CEST 2003

Hi Pablo,

We are two weeks into the feature freeze, so I'm reluctant to add major
new features at this point.  However, since both of these suggestions
could be considered parts of stuff we had in the feature plan and
neither requires a very large amount of code, I think we can add them.

When you commit, be sure to say something like "completing feature X in
the 3.2 Feature Plan"...

On Saturday 13 September 2003 05:41 pm, Pablo de Vicente wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I would like to suggest a couple of small additions to KStars. I
> know we are very very close to feature freeze and they were not
> rigorously in the feature plan but may be considered part of some
> features which were included in the feature plan.
>
>   I think we need a Set Zoom entry in the View menu. This entry would
> fire a small QSpinBox which allows to set an arbitrary zoom factor,
> within the zoom limits. This is simple to add.

Instead of specifying the Zoom factor (i.e., number of pixels subtended
by 1 radian), it may be more intuitive to set the desired angle
subtended by the window.

>  Second one is that I would like to add to FOV an entry for a
> radiotelescope HPBW (Half Power Beam Width). This is very simple to
> code but the problem is that it depends on two parameters: wavelength
> and diameter of the radiotelescope (or maximum distance between
> antennas if it is an interferometer). This two parameters have
> nothing to do with the Edition screen for FOV for optical telescopes.
> I would need to create a new screen only for radiotelescopes.
>
>   I want to try first the second one. If I am not in time I will
> leave this for KDE 3.3. I would also like to do the first one, but I
> think I will not be on time if I try both of them.

I can do the first one then...

KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars