[Kstars-devel] Elevation correction for rising/setting times

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Sep 3 08:50:18 CEST 2003

Hi Pablo,

I'm a bit worried that the Moon's correction has the opposite sign of
everything else.

(1) It looks like we are not applying the correction for the Moon's
Angular size, as we do for the Sun:

Sun:  correction = -34 (refract) + -16 (angular radius) = -50
Moon: correction = -34 (refract) + 0.7275*P (parallax) = +0.125

(2) The moon's coordinates already include a correction for parallax (a.
k.a. "figure of the Earth").  Are we correcting for it unnecessarily?

regards,
Jason

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 04:57 am, Pablo de Vicente wrote:

KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars