[Kstars-devel] Patch for Celestron NexStar driver

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Wed Oct 1 13:33:18 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 11:28 pm, Quinn Jensen wrote:
> My Celestron NexStar 114GT was locking up
> on Slew commands.  Turning on debug revealed
> that kstars is sending two slew commands very
> close together (to the same coordinates) with
> an abort in between.  The 100 ms delay in
> CelestronGPS::handleCoordSet wasn't enough.
> 500 ms worked much better, and was hardly
> noticable.

Thank you Quinn for the patch! I don't have a celestron NexStar and so I
wasn't able to test the driver, thanks for testing it.

I'm curious though as why KStars is sending two slew commands. The only time
the 100 ms delay is used is when the scope is still slewing and a new slew
command comes in. So if you asked KStars to slew to a new location and the
telescope was already slewing, then it will stop the scope, delay, and then
slew again. If that was the case, then there are no problems and the 500 ms
is fine.

However, if KStars always sends two slew commands regardless of whether the
scope is slewing or not, then we have an issue. Can you please verify that?
Do you get "Slew is Complete" message after slewing?

The "Equatorial J2000" LED in the INDI Control Panel turns "yellow" (busy)
when slew starts, does it turn to green when slew is complete? Maybe there is
an issue on how close the scope should be with regard to the target
coordinates as to declare 'slew' complete.

Thank you again :)

Clear skies,
Jasem