[Kstars-devel] Re: INDI Time & Geographical settings

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Fri Dec 19 19:24:00 CET 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 4:35 am, Alessio Sangalli wrote:
> Yes I did read the manual but, an experiment I made few nights ago, I
> syncronized the telescope to some very bright star. After I tried to go
> to another object, the tracking was still not very good. So my question
> is: when I sync the telescope, is it supposed to gain some better
> alignment in the following operations - or not? I know the precision
> can't be perfect if the first alignment was not good, but can I
> compensate a bit with sync operations?

Yes.

For example. You look in your eye piece and you have Vega smack in the middle.
You look at KStars and the crosshair is not centered around Vega. This means
that the RA/DEC coordinates reported by the telescope are not those of Vega.
You right click on Vega in KStars and "Sync". Now the telescope is "pointing"
at Vega and its internal coordinates "match" Vega.

The syncing operation is used to elliminate the differences between what the
telescope "think" it is pointing at (i.e. internal coordinates), and what the
telescope is actually pointing at.

Clear skies,
Jasem