[EXTERNAL] Using dates on the X-axis

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:52:31 GMT 2020

Hi all,

The travis CI setup for kst on github is meant to generate fresh
Windows builds whenever there is a new commit. However, at the moment
it is broken, and the latest build is around 13 months old and
probably misses later e.g. HDF5 fixes. The build problem is due to
outdated 3rdparty (getdata) library packages that are downloaded as
part of the build. I sorted this out, generated newer libraries, and
by some curious CI setup artifact I am responsible for that last
Windows binary. However to fix it properly for the project setup, my
(or another updated) package needs to be uploaded to the sourceforge
project and some other fixes can be applied to the build scripts. I
was in contact with Barth at the time, he was not so familiar with git
so my patches were only partly applied by manual regeneration, and my
package was not uploaded, although I tried to give precise
instructions. I didn't hear from him again, he might have moved on or
lost interest or gone missing in action for other reasons.

I would love to help out on this. The easiest is if you trust me
access to the sourceforge project. I think either bnetterfield,
nicodev, or syntheticpp can grant this access, or they can themselves
upload my package, or generate it on their own. I am not at all well
versed in kst internals but I know sourceforge and git well, and some
build infrastructures.

I fully understand not having time to maintain a project in your spare
time. I am myself guilty of badly (or at least way too slowly)
maintaining a number of spare-time open-source projects. In the case
of kst we are relying on it at work so I can easier justify spending
some time on it. I also understand reluctance to letting in other
people who doesn't know the project as well as you do yourself, but it
would be sad to let the project die out when there are people willing
to help.

Best regards,
Tormod