Creating data source reader plugin

Manuel manuel.m at ewetel.net
Thu May 10 23:55:27 UTC 2018

> Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 12:08:30 -0400
> From: Barth Netterfield <netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca>
> To: kst <kst at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: Creating data source reader plugin
>
> I can try to give you some advice.
>
> Does your data source just provide vectors, or does it also have strings,
> scalars and matrices?

I'd like to plot vectors in kst, basically some values vs time. And I
would like to load strings from the header, the field names and units,
to display these in the legend.

The file structure is simple, it consists of blocks of equal size (64
bytes), except for the header, where field names and some more data is
stored.

Most of the blocks contain the vectors I want to plot (but no time
information). To be able to plot vs time, I assume a fixed time interval
between consecutive vector blocks. The other blocks contain a time stamp
that is used for synchronisation (these have an event code attached).

For the more distant future, if I find time for it, I would like to
display a list of events in kst ("Date/Time - Event name"), derived from
the file, and use that to navigate through the plots. That would help me
a lot to quickly get to the interesting spots.