[Kst] Antw: Re: Importing extremely long files (>32 Bit)

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sun Apr 19 19:16:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

Sorry for being quite silent lately. I've changed positions in the middle of a reorganization and I currently have quite a lot to do.
Plus family stuff as well...
I don't know what Barth is up to, but he's apparently very busy as well.

Anyway, I've noticed Ben has been answering questions: thanks a lot!

Regarding the question below, one of the big changes we did recently was to address exactly that issue (RAM limitation, especially under Windows 32 bits but possibly useful in other scenarios as well). If you use the latest version, which is advisable anyway, you can limit the amount of RAM used while reading ASCII data by checking the "Limit buffer size" option under General settings in the ASCII configuration dialog. You can also use threads, which according to your system may give some speedup.

The difference between this approach and the one suggested by Ben is that in this case you end up with all data loaded and available for plots, equations, plugins, statistics, etc.

I hope that helps, otherwise don't hesitate to report your issue with a bit more details.

Best regards,

Nicolas