[Kst] Google Code-In

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sun Nov 30 09:33:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

KDE is participating in the Google Code-In event (see http://www.google-melange.com/) and they're looking for more tasks.
I had tried it a few years back. Success had been mitigated but I think the tasks were a bit too ambitious.
I'd be willing to give it a try again this year, with some easy things. I does not have to be coding, it can also be documentation.
Here are the ideas I have, let me know if you have other/better suggestions. The tasks should be easy and not take more than one day to complete, the target population being "13 to 17 years pre-university students".

- Based on the video tutorials and up-to-date screenshots, update the documentation (can be broken down in small pieces like chapters)
- Try to get python scripting to work under Windows (currently I can get python to open up a Kst window, but then nothing happens). This is a bit hazardous since I don't know what the issue is, it could be a bit tricky... or totally stupid
- Bug triaging
- Check/fix tab order in the dialogs
- Extend generated vectors to allow: linear spacing, log spacing and random values
- Color palette improvement: add GUI config to select the palette from which curve colors are generated
- Improve algorithm for contour lines based on matplotlib (seeing how veusz does it)
- Make the pull-down menus for selecting strings/vectors/scalars use the whole screen width

This is a tentative list only, feel free to comment!