[Kst] Reading FITS Tables

Nicholas Chapman nchapman at u.northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:03:21 UTC 2014

Hi, I have been working on a KST plugin to read FITS tables from one
or more HDUs.  I think it would be useful for inclusion in KST once I
clean it up a bit.  I have one issue that I would like help with.

My plugin will loop through all the FITS HDUs to assemble to available
list of fields to plot.  If the same field name appears in more than
one HDU, they are combined seamlessly.

However, if a field only appears in some of the HDUs, then KST does
some interpolation when plotting.  For example, say I have a column
named Temperature with 100 rows.  The total number of rows in all the
HDUs is 10,000.  If I plot Temperature, it shows the 100 rows
interpolated to span the range of 10,000.  I'm guess this is because
the INDEX vector has a range of 10,000.

How can I get KST to automatically plot a vector only for the given
range it spans?  I suppose it would also be fine if I could just fill
the remaining 9,900 rows with some null value, so when KST plots
Temperature, it would be immediately obvious to the user that only the
first 100 values are real, the rest are just filler.

Thanks,

Nicholas Chapman