[Kst] Citation

Barth Netterfield barth.netterfield at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 23 16:37:51 UTC 2014

Interesting question.

http://software.ac.uk/so-exactly-what-software-did-you-use

has a long discussion on the topic.

My personal opinion has been consistent with section 4.3, which argues that
software is not a citable publication, and should instead be referenced in the
text or in footnotes, as you would a particular piece of equipment.  In this
case I would suggest referring to kst with the url (kst-plot.kde.org) and the
version you used.

An an alternative might be an acknowledgement.  "This research used kst 2.0.7
(http://kst-plot.kde.org)."

Of course, this is by no means a settled question!  There is a long history of
open source scientific software projects "requiring" citations or
acknowledgements to their code as a strongly encouraged requirement for its
use.  But in this case, there is often (but not always) a reference
publication to cite.  Such a thing is not really appropriate for kst.

cbn

On July 23, 2014 6:07:44 PM Agosti wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm writing a scientific publication using KST, what could be the best
> citation of KST software?
>
> Regards
>
> Robert

Barth Netterfield