[Kst] CDF support for kst2

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Wed Aug 13 21:28:29 UTC 2014

Hi Alexander,

I believe NetCDF has support for HDF5 if compiled with the right options, though I never tried it myself. I'd be interested to know if it works, if you make the test.

If you do want to port the CDF datasource to kst2, I'd strongly encourage you to start from the existing netCDF datasource for kst2, and only look at the kst1 source to see how querying properties and data from CDF is done (::read() method mainly, plus the init part). There have been many changes in the datasources for kst2, and NetCDF implements a lot of stuff. And the format has a logic close to that of CDF, even though the NetCDF API is more modern, at least its C++ incarnation.
Having written most of those 2 sources, I should be able to help you if you get into trouble. I also wrote a HOWTO which is part of the sources the last time I created a datasource. You should definitely read it, it's much better than the obsolete datasource template.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas