[Kst] Binding via CFFI

Barth Netterfield barth.netterfield at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 2 19:56:23 UTC 2014

I would not have found that as the page seems to indicate that this is a
method of calling C libraries, where for kst we want to control a running
application.  Can CFFI be used to control a running application?

What Josh implemented was talking to kst over a QLocalSocket.  So you can use
the 'bindings' with anything that can do this, including another application.

But this could be interesting is in the part of the interface where we send
numpyarrays back and forth from kst.  It currently uses Weave.

I'm hoping we can use PyQT4 or PySide purely though.

On April 2, 2014 07:30:13 PM Peter Kümmel wrote:

> https://cffi.readthedocs.org
> Have you evaluated to bind via CFFI?
>
> This would require a C-API,
>
>    typedef struct kst_ClassA;
>    kst_ClassA* kst_ClassA_new();
>    void kst_ClassA_delete(kst_ClassA* self);
>    void kst_ClassA_memberFunction(kst_ClassA* self, int param);
>
> and would have the advantage that any binding using a simliar apprach
> (libffi) are "automatically" supported, e.g.
>    http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html
> or
>    https://sourceware.org/libffi/
>
> Peter