[Kst] Path to Kst executable

Ben Lewis egretengineering at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 13:34:46 UTC 2013

Hi David,

I'm working with CSV files. The path to these files is sometimes a location on my local hard drive
and sometimes a location on the local network.

The latest git version has fixed the long delays I was having.

Having said that, I tried to open a 9Gb CSV file and after a long pause Kst crashed.

I don't normally have the need to open files this big. I was just trying an extreme example to
exaggerate any delays.

Steps to reproduce this are:
Data Wizard>Browse to CSV File>Click Configure OR "Update Type"... Crash

I tried this with the 64 bit version. Clicking on "configure..." is ok, there is no pause and it
doesn't crash. Clicking on "Change Detection" causes it to hang for at least 3 to 4 minutes but it
does recover. Plotting the data fails with the following error:

"The file could not be read because not enough memory is available. Try setting a file buffer limit
in the configuration options"

This is interesting because I have 24Gb or RAM, which I thought would have been more than enough for
a 9Gb file.

I tried opening the file with a "limit buffer size" of 4Gb which failed with the following error:

"You requested to read in 9088.95MB of data but it seems that you only have approximately 6333.32MB
of usable memory available you cannot load this much data."

I've also noticed that entering a number greater than 3000MB in the "limit buffer size" value causes
strange behaviour. e.g. If I enter a value of 4000MB select OK and then re-enter the ASCII file
configuration dialogue the number is changed to -96MB.

I'm not sure how useful all this information is given that plotting a 9Gb file may not be realistic.
But I can provide more information if anybody would like more details.

Regards, Ben