[Kst] last critical bug fixed...

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Thu Jun 27 05:44:24 UTC 2013

On 25.06.2013 09:32, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
>> I found and fixed the other bug (crash when saving after tabs have been
>> closed).
>>
>> I wasn't able to commit it until today because git and svn were down at KDE -
>> but now they are back, and so I have.
> OK, so I guess Peter can now generate 2.0.7 final. I'm preparing the release announcement.
>
>> Peter: what would be involved with us starting to use your kst github as the
>> official kst repository?
>>
>> I'm still looking at the KDE one as well... but... don't know how much fun it
>> would be to get going.  Or what the advantages would be.
> One thing we should probably decide is whether we want to reintroduce some (optional) KDE dependencies at some point. I think we should do so as long as they remain optional.
>
> Another question is whether kst 2.x, being a non-KDE application right now, can live in KDE's git infrastructure. But I don't think there would be problems if we stayed on KDE's infrastructure. Kst is probably not a big burden on the servers.
>
> In terms of advantages, I see a couple with staying within KDE:
> - the KDE umbrella has a rather positive image I think and Kst is a good product which does not damage KDE's image either (or so I hope!)
> - we could reintroduce translations at some point, benefitting from KDE's i18n infrastructure
> - our website is hosted on a KDE server (and uses KDE scripts and styles), as our mailing list, etc...
> - KDE is maintained by a large community, and provides support for newcomers (including participating in Google's GSoC and Code-In, which we could benefit from)
> - there are sysadmins who can help with the migration
>
> I don't see any compelling reason to move away from KDE, rather the opposite. I don't know git but I think Peter can continue to maintain his Kst repo on github to keep the automatic binary generation - and maybe other benefits. And by staying on KDE's infrastructure we save quite some migration effort. OK, the repo may be down (as happened yesterday) but on the whole it has worked very well the last years, I don't see this as a reason to go elsewhere.
>
> Nicolas

I can't commit any more, maybe because they again have problems with their hardware.
I don't think such would happen on github, or similar Mega-Dollar funded companies.

I also have the impression that hosting on KDE limits our visibility. Since years
we use the KDE infrastructure but no significant contribution from a this direction.

Peter