[Kst] Proposal - Quick plotting of ASCII files

Ben Lewis egretengineering at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 13:30:51 UTC 2013

Hi Syam,

I'm not a developer, but for what it's worth here is an idea for discussion:

If Kst is changed so that it can read the "sample rate" and "start date/time" from the header info
in the data file then the ASCII configuration dialogue box could be skipped altogether (once
defaults have been set up). Kst currently does this with "field names" and "field units" so I'm
guessing this would not be a big ask.

On the next page of the Data Wizard I regularly select all vectors except the INDEX. This seems like
a pretty common use case so this could be the default configuration for this page.

For the remaining two screens I regularly just go next > next > and sort out all the layout stuff later.

An additional button could be added to each page of the Data Wizard labelled something like "Finish
with Defaults".

With these changes it would be possible to complete the Data Wizard with one click - "Finish with
Defaults". But the user still has the ability to dig deeper into the setting if required.

As for "Plot all curves vs 1" and  "Plot all curves vs INDEX" Kst remembers this setting between
sessions so you only have to go through all the steps once to set it up how you need it.

What do you think?

Regards, Ben